For Anna, Purple Carrot's vegan meal delivery kit took the guesswork out of prepping healthy recipes for the week. Learn about the program in her review! Read more...
More Staff Reviews of Purple Carrot
- $71.94 Weekly
- Ships to US
- Founded in 2014
What We Love About Purple Carrot
- Having meals delivered to your door is convenient and saves time.
- All meals are vegan (plant-based, dairy-free, and meat-free). Those looking for vegan options (or vegetarian options, for that matter) won’t have to sort past meals they can’t order; everything on the menu is fair game.
- It’s easy to skip meals, pause your subscription, or cancel online.
- Recipes simplify the cooking process with easy-to-follow, step-by-step directions.
What You Should Know
- Their packaging is pretty eco-friendly. From the Purple Carrot outer box to plastic bags and ingredient bottles, most everything can be recycled.
- Purple Carrot recommends consuming meals within the first 3-5 days after arrival; however, some meals may stay fresh up to a week. Boxes are kept cool during transit with insulated packaging and non-toxic ice packs. To prolong the life of ingredients, transfer ingredients to the fridge as soon as the box arrives.
- There are 8 different meals to choose from every week.
- This is a more costly option than what you might be able to put together on your own at a grocery store.
We Recommend Purple Carrot If
- You’re vegan, have dietary restrictions that prevent you from eating meat or dairy, are looking to eat fewer animal products, or want to work more plant-based meals in your diet.
- You’re tired of takeout and need some more veggies in your life.
- You want to skip the grocery store and enjoy the convenience of having meal kits shipped to your door.
tried the high protein plan to get myself used to learning how to meal prep. I really like how thoughtful the meal plan and recipes are. Lots of variety, and delicious flavor combinations. Would order again.
I was initially put on a waitlist and I think I got off of it when I told them forget it, I did not want to wait. Voila!
I got off the waitlist quickly (within a week) by sending the facebook messages to 10 friends. In the personal message part I wrote "Hi - I am trying to get off the waitlist for this program and need to spread the word. If you are not interested, please disregard. Thanks for helping out!" None of my friends were annoyed and 2 even joined. Just a thought to help you out... Good luck!
You never get off the waitlist, seriously I have been on it for months!
I was wondering about the whole waitlist thing...I saw a friend post on facebook today that she was excited to be off the waitlist--so I tried to sign up and in order to "cheat" your way out of the waitlist you had to post that to facebook, then invite ten friends, and who knows what else because there were two more steps and I wasn't going to annoy people over it
Has anyone had success getting off the waitlist without using social media?
How much does Purple Carrot cost?
The cost per serving depends on your meal plan. If you sign up for the two-serving plan, each meal will cost $11.99. If you order meals for 4, each serving will cost $9.99. Shipping is free.
How do I select my meals?
Once you are logged in, navigate to your account and the “upcoming deliveries page.” There, you’ll see a button that will allow you to change your meal selections. Don’t want to receive a box one week? You can skip deliveries as often as you like.
How long do I have to select my meals and make changes?
The cut-off for making changes to your upcoming deliveries is 11:59 PM EST on the Tuesday prior to your next shipment.
How skilled of a cook do I need to be?
This depends on the meals that you choose, but basic cooking skills and knowledge should be sufficient. The meals are organized into separate bags making it easy to locate everything you need for each meal and you will also receive recipe cards with step-by-step directions that break it down for you. (The recipes also contain basic nutritional information.) They will list materials and ingredients that you need to gather from home and then start with the prep section so you know exactly what to do. There are also photos to accompany the directions along the way.
How much prep work is involved with Purple Carrot meals?
Sauces and dressings will sometimes come pre-prepared, but be ready to chop, peel, and grate. The amount of meal prep required depends on the recipe, but you should expect to spend between 5-15 minutes getting things ready to cook.
How long will the food stay fresh?
Since this is a vegan food delivery service, you won’t need to worry about meat, dairy, or seafood spoiling; however, Purple Carrot recommends cooking meals with 3-5 days of arrival for optimum freshness. Many items will stay fresh longer than that, likely up to a week, but you should prioritize recipes that include delicate ingredients like leafy greens.
What kinds of recipes can I expect?
Past recipes have included: Ancient Grain Bowls with Crispy Chickpeas & Pistachio Cashew Cheese, Piri Piri Tempeh with Farro & Arugula Citrus Salad, and Mojo Sweet Potato Bowls with Black Bean Quinoa & Citrus Avocado Salad.
Does Purple Carrot have add-ons?
Yes! In addition to meals designed for dinner time, there are lunch options (and more) available; subscribers can add breakfasts, lunches, and snacks to every order.
How do I pause or cancel this subscription?
Need a break from vegan meal delivery? You can pause your subscription for up to 10 weeks. Want to cancel for good? You can cancel your account online. Just sign in, navigate to your account page, click on “subscription status,” and follow the steps to cancel.
Who We Are
MSA has been your top resource for subscription box reviews since 2012, and we like to think of ourselves as your well-researched and trusted friend. Our team has unboxed tens of thousands of boxes, shared their experience honestly, and joined our community in conversations about each. We wouldn't be who we are without our readers, who contribute their own first-hand experience on the thousands of subscriptions we've reviewed. Learn more.